Samsung will release an update Kills remaining Galaxy Note 7
After the Galaxy Note7 was eradicated from existence, Samsung expressly asked users to return the phablet and take advantage of the available ailments.
But the thing is, a lot of users don’t seem too keen on following Samsung’s guideline. We recently told you it is estimated that more than 1 million customers are still holding on to the potentially dangerous Note7. Some still consider the device a very capable phone, one that’s not easily replaceable. Some users are waiting for Samsung to unveil the Galaxy S8 next year, but we’re still a few months away from that.
Therefore Samsung will release an update for their Galaxy Note 7 smartphones that will prevent them from charging and functioning as mobile phones on December 19.
In a statement, Samsung said: “Consumer safety remains our highest priority.
We’ve had overwhelming participation in the US Note 7 Refund and Exchange Program so far, with more than 93 percent of all recalled Galaxy Note7 devices returned.
“To further increase participation, a software update will be released starting on December 19th and will be distributed within 30 days. This software update will prevent U.S. Galaxy Note7 devices from charging and will eliminate their ability to work as mobile devices.”
However Verizon Communications said they would not take part in the update because of the risk posed to customers that do not have another device to switch to.
The US Transportation Department and other agencies have already banned Galaxy Note 7 owners from carrying the devices or stowing them in checked baggage during flights due to safety fears.
So far we have no idea whether Samsung Malaysia will release the same update to kill the remaining Galaxy Note 7 in Malaysia.